After the storm on the 23rd, here are some tips for selling your home in the winter!
Selling a home in winter can be a relatively tougher sell. It’s more of an effort for folks to get around, they spend less time milling about the outside of a property (not fun to do when there’s a wind chill of -15), and it can be hard to envision what a house will really look like when it’s covered under 30 cm of snow.
However, if you’re planning to sell your home this winter, fear not! Here is a great list of winter home selling tips:
1. Get rid of snow and ice. Aside from making it easier (and safer!) for prospective buyers to access your home, snow and ice don’t make for good visuals. Even if there’s lots of snow to deal with, there’s a way to make it actually look kind of “clean” – or, at least, presentable. If you need to fork over some money to nearby kids with shovels, it’s a worthwhile investment.
2. Keep your house warm. It’s understandable that some sellers want to turn down the thermostat, because with folks coming in and out (especially during Open Houses), they want to save money. However, a chilly house can create a “chilly buyer” who doesn’t feel warm, cozy and comfortable. So while you don’t need to make your home a sauna, you should keep it well-heated if you want to make the best possible impression.
3. Try and show your home during the day. There aren’t many daylight hours to take advantage of, but if possible, try and show your home during the day. Flooding your home with natural light can help make a strong impression. Plus, you’ll save on electricity!
4. Wash those windows. Once you flood your home with natural light (per the tip above), you’ll immediately see if your windows need cleaning. If so, get out the Windex and roll up those sleeves.
5. Play-up your homes’ “winter positives.” Does your home have great insulation? Does natural light help heat up the kitchen? Does hot water come rushing out of the taps in mere seconds, even when it’s frigid outside? All of these are “winter positives” that you should emphasize to potential buyers. Also don’t forget to mention nearby winter amenities, such as rinks, ski hills and trails, and anything else that will help put your home in the best possible light.
Selling your Home this Winter Can be Easy and Successful
If you’re planning to sell your home this winter, then don’t worry the weather outside – because if you have the right strategy and use all of the tips above, then you’ll be well on your way to an easy and successful sale. Call me at 902-789-9099 for more advice and guidance on winter home selling. Remember, I’m here to help!
“Home is the most important place in the world.”